Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Rock Against Racism

Browsing internet, I came across this Rock Against Racism button. Seeing this button flooded me with nostalgia and sadness. Nostalgia, because I remember when I was wearing that button in 1978/1979.
Sadness, 
because not much has changed about our relationship with racism. It seems like it is even getting worse.

"Rock Against Racism was a campaign set up in the United Kingdom in 1976 as a response to an increase in racial conflict and the growth of white nationalist groups such as the National Front. The campaign involved pop, rock, punk and reggae musicians staging concerts with an anti-racist theme, in order to discourage young people from embracing racism. The campaign was founded, in part, as a response to statements and activities by well-known rock musicians that were widely regarded as racist."

Photos of me by Milisav Vesovic.



No comments:

Post a Comment